Home Part P PIR Prices Contact Us

Landline:  01474 816446

Mobile:      07900 828381

What is Part P ?

Part P is a part of the Building Regulations which has been introduced by government and affects all electrical work carried out in dwellings.

People carrying out electrical work in homes and gardens in England and Wales should follow the rules set out in Part P of the Building Regulations to ensure that they are complying with the law. These rules are designed to ensure that electrical work is safe.

Why has Part P been introduced ?

Part P has been introduced in order to:

What is a Competent Person ?

A 'Competent Person' is a firm that has been approved by one of the government-approved Part P schemes as sufficiently competent to self-certify that its work complies with the Building Regulations.

A registered firm is not required to notify a building control body of its proposals to carry out electrical installation work before it begins, or to have the work inspected on completion. This reduces costs for the customer as the additional charges for calling out a building control body can be avoided.

If a firm wishes to become a Competent Person it must first be vetted to ensure it meets the conditions of registration, including the required levels of competence. The minimum standard of technical competence required is as follows:

Why should I use a Competent Person ?

A firm registered as a ‘competent person’:

Using a ‘competent person’ ensures that:

If you decide against using a registered firm to carry out any work for you, bear in mind the following points:

There is no guarantee that the electrical installation is safe

Failing to comply with the Building Regulations is a criminal offence; however, registration with a Competent Person scheme is not compulsory. If you decide to use a firm that has not registered as a Competent Person, you must ensure that the firm has submitted notification of the work and arranged for it to be inspected and certified by your local authority's Building Control Department on completion.

Type of work requiring notification to your local authority's Building Control department...

For more information visit